Mark T. Banner Scholarship
The Richard Linn American Inn of Court is proud to offer the Mark T. Banner Scholarship. This scholarship is part of The Richard Linn American Inn of Court's commitment to fostering the development of intellectual property lawyers of high ethics, civility and professionalism, and especially those from diverse backgrounds.
Law students who have entered into a JD program at an ABA-accredited law school in the United States and who will continue in that program through at least the Fall semester 2023 are eligible to apply for the Mark T. Banner Scholarship.
Scholarship recipients will be selected by the Mark T. Banner Scholarship review board based on the following criteria:
- Commitment to the pursuit of a career in IP law. An ability to demonstrate commitment to the pursuit of a career in intellectual property law is an essential requirement.
- Commitment, qualities and actions toward ethics, civility and professionalism.
- Academic merit (undergraduate, graduate and law school).
- Written and oral communication skills determined in part through a telephone interview for finalists.
- Leadership qualities and community involvement.
- Member of a historically underrepresented group in IP law (including race, sex, ethnicity, sexual orientation and disability). The applicant should discuss how diversity has impacted their/her/his pursuit of a career in IP law and how the applicant has faced and overcome the challenges associated therewith. Diversity is considered, but is one element among several in the award decision.
The recipient of the Mark T. Banner Scholarship will receive $10,000 payable for the Fall 2023 semester of their/her/his second or third year of law school.
Applications will be accepted from now through Dec. 2, 2022. The winner will be notified by April 2023 and the award will be announced at the Linn Inn of Court's annual dinner in Summer of 2023, or as soon as the Inn is able to host its annual dinner in light of the ongoing global pandemic and related restrictions. Applicants should submit the following documents as a single PDF format file for consideration:
- Completed Mark T. Banner Scholarship Application Form
- Academic transcripts (law school, undergraduate/graduate school)
- Three-page statement (maximum) describing (a) how ethics, civility and professionalism have been a focus of the candidate; (b) how diversity has impacted the candidate; and (c) the candidate's commitment to the pursuit of a career in IP law
- Contact information for three references
*Selections for scholarships by the Linn Inn are final and not subject to review by the American Inns of Court Foundation. All materials submitted by applicants shall become the property of the Linn Inn, for disposal or to be retained as the Linn Inn sees fit. Awards of scholarships will include Inn press releases, may reveal information about the applicant from the application materials and interview, and may become known to the applicants’ fellow students, law school faculty and administration, family, friends, and others.