The Honorable Arlander Keys Scholarship
The Richard Linn American Inn of Court is proud to offer the Honorable Arlander Keys Scholarship. This scholarship is part of The Richard Linn American Inn of Court's commitment to fostering the development of intellectual property lawyers of high ethics, civility and professionalism, and especially those from diverse backgrounds.
Law students enrolled in a Juris Doctorate program at an ABA-accredited HBCU law school in the United States at the time of filing the application are eligible to apply for the Hon. Arlander Keys Scholarship.
Scholarship recipients will be selected by the Hon. Arlander Keys Scholarship review board based on the following criteria:
- Enrollment in an ABA accredited law school at an HBCU
- Commitment, qualities and actions toward ethics, civility and professionalism
- Academic merit (undergraduate, graduate and law school)
- Written and oral communication skills determined in part through a telephone interview
- Leadership qualities and community involvement
- Membership in a historically under represented group in the legal field (including race, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, and disability)
- An interest in intellectual property law including any of the following: patent, trademark, entertainment law, social media law and sports law.
The recipient of the Hon. Arlander Keys Scholarship will receive $10,000 payable for the Fall 2020 semester.
Applications will be accepted from now through Oct. 10. 2020. The winner will be notified by the end of the year and the award will be presented at the Linn Inn of Court's annual dinner in Summer of 2021. Applicants should submit the following documents as a single PDF format file for consideration:
- Completed Hon. Arlander Keys Scholarship Application Form
- Academic transcripts (law school, undergraduate/graduate school)
- Legal writing sample (5-10 pages)
- Contact information for three references
- One-page statement describing how (a) ethics, civility, and professionalism have been a focus of the candidate’s life, and (b) how diversity has impacted the candidate.
*Selections for scholarships by the Linn Inn are final and not subject to review by the American Inns of Court Foundation. All materials submitted by applicants shall become the property of the Linn Inn, for disposal or to be retained as the Linn Inn sees fit. Awards of scholarships will include Inn press releases, may reveal information about the applicant from the application materials and interview, and may become known to the applicants’ fellow students, law school faculty and administration, family, friends, and others.